The year is almost in full swing with a few long weekends left before it is back to the fast lane. When you are on holiday and relaxed, taking care of yourself is a natural consequence but taking time for you becomes less of a priority as work, family and life commitments take over. However, you can only care for others after you care for yourself, so here are a few ways you can add the gift of self care into your lives daily. As doing little things for yourself daily is more beneficial than a montly massage or girls night (although these should be scheduled in too!).
20 ideas for daily Self-Care
- First thing when you wake up think about how awesome the day is going to be, and 3 things you are grateful for (specific to that day)
- Go cloud-watching. Lie on your back, relax, and watch the sky, alternatively lie under a large tree and watch the leaves.
- Pay complete attention, practice mindfulness, be completely present while brushing your teeth, driving, eating, or performing your morning routine.
- Play! Schedule in five minutes of “play” (non-directed activity) several times throughout your day.
- Create a deliberate habit, by doing something the same way everyday—what you wear on Tuesdays, or picking up the dental floss before you brush.
- Fix a small annoyance at home that’s been nagging you—a button lost, a drawer that’s stuck, a light bulb that’s gone.
- Be selfish. Do one thing today just because it makes you happy.
- Do a mini-declutter. Recycle three things from your wardrobe that you don’t love or regularly wear.
- Unplug for an hour. Switch everything to airplane mode and free yourself from the constant bings of social media and email.
- Get out of your comfort zone, even if it’s just talking to a stranger at the bus stop.
- Give your body ten minutes of mindful attention. Use the body scan technique to check in with each part of your body.
- Oxygenate by taking three deep breaths as you lie in bed before rising. Breathe into your abdomen, and let the air puff out your stomach and chest.
- Dance around the room (naked if you like!) to your favorite record.
- Do some kind of physical activity even if it is just taking the stairs at work instead of the lift and shedule 5min every half hour to move and stretch.
- Narrow your food choices, plan a few days food diary and rotate, this creates less stress around deciding what to eat.
- Get some sun, even just a few min is enough to lighten your mood and generate warmth inside and out.
- Use the uplifting power of smell with essential oils.
- Have a good laugh. Read a couple of comic strips that you enjoy or find funny videos on Youtube.
- Have a long bath or shower, sit around in your bathrobe, and read magazines.
- Take time to sit and enjoy a cup of tea or coffe
With a little bit of daily self care you will feel more energy and nothing will seem as overwhelming as it may have in the past.
Have a great long weekend and Happy year of the Rooster!